Self Development Through Cultural Exploration, Service Learning & Environmental Study

Join the Expedition!


Costa Rica 2010 Photos

Friday, April 23, 2010

More Time for Family and Appreciation

LaShai, 17

Well I've been home for about a week.

When I first got home, I was excited. I had my room back, my phone for texting, my television with over 200 channels in HD, and my laptop with all the wireless internet I want, but I didn't want it.

I had gone so long without these things that they had become a luxury instead of my everyday necessities. Instead of going straight back to my old everyday necessities, I spent my first couple of days back home with my family and friends. I never really cared to spend time with my little brothers before I went to Costa Rica, but after coming back from this trip I realized that they are all I have, that they have always been there for me.

It's only in coming back from a place where everyone is so kind and caring for
each other that you really know what is important to you.



After having a couple days of down time, I went back to work. I thought it was going to be a normal "low key" day. As time went by my mind started to wander. I tried to remember everybody's name that I had met. I was surprised at how many people's names I remembered and what memories came with every person.

For instance, Pepe, he brought Larry, Cherie and Ashley pop and chocolate because we weren't allowed to have any American food. Then there was Evar, he played guitar and sang us songs every night that we were in the rain forest. Then I started to make a list of all the different foods that we ate in Costa Rica, but all I could really think of was 'gallo pinto and casado'. As I was thinking of all the different foods we ate, Larry, who also works with me, started to look for the foods we ate. It was really bizarre because not only did he find some of the foods that I listed, but they all said 'Products of Costa Rica' on their labels. I see several different types of foods at my job, but until now I've never cared about where they were coming from.

Since I've been home, everyone always has questions about how my trip went, and all I say is that I love it there and everything about it. The people there are so beautiful and genuine. They love being where they are and embrace who they are. Then they ask what was my favorite part about this trip, and I always tell them it's the people. Even if I don't ever see the people that I've met in Costa Rica ever again, I will never forget them. We were only with the high school students a small amount of time, but yet it feels like a life time. Then they finally ask what the worst part of the trip was, and I say having to leave. It seemed like every time we were just getting used to being around new people and starting to really like them for who they were, we had to leave them. It was almost like having to leave family behind, because that is how the people in San Jose and Yorkin made me feel--I was part of their family, and I truly miss and appreciate them.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you been back to Costa Rica? Our family fell in love with Guanacaste many years ago. We even own dirt (although we still rent from some friends of ours).

    ReplyDelete