Self Development Through Cultural Exploration, Service Learning & Environmental Study

Join the Expedition!


Costa Rica 2010 Photos

Friday, April 23, 2010

A not so distant past .

Siena, 17

I sense that something in my life is missing. It's around 9:30 pm on a Friday night and no form of entertainment is suiting my craving. I don't want to watch TV. I don't want to read a book, surf the internet, talk on the phone, or have a grand old night on the town. What I desire most is to sit in that dimly lit room and have the young boy of the Bribri tribe sing Spanish lullabies on his guitar and lull my mind to sleep.

I believe I have reached the point of this journey when realization blows out my dream clouded mind and leaves me fully aware that we aren't in Costa Rica anymore. Although our homecoming was just over a week ago, it feels as if our expedition took place somewhere in the distant past; as if months have gone by since we were in that luxurious land. I miss waking up to those sun filled sky's and having fresh fruit juice every morning. I miss the beautiful plants and equally beautiful people.

The memory of this trip give me a nostalgic feeling, like recalling a childhood summer. I am unable to give one distinct quality I am taking from this trip for I feel as if I have gained them all; whether that be appreciation, awareness, open-mindedness, or self discovery. Through this trip I have taken a little of each of these qualities and more.

Simply put, I feel this trip has given me a greater sense of unity in the world. I now can wholeheartedly say that neither gender, language, age, nor race are able to create barriers to extinguish the human bonding experience. I feel blessed to have met the people I did and create stronger bonds with those I already knew. I wish the best for all the friends we left behind and hope that someday in the future our paths may cross once again.

1 comment:

  1. siena,traveling is alway so many emotions rolled up in one.i know you have always been comfortable with quiet moments and am happy you were able to have them on your trip.you will always remember that one voice and a guitar,a dim room and the rain forest right outside the door.i am proud of all the hard work you and your team accomplished and look forward to hearing about your next adventure.

    ReplyDelete