Self Development Through Cultural Exploration, Service Learning & Environmental Study

Join the Expedition!


Costa Rica 2010 Photos

Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Oh, Leo

Samantha, 18

Today we went to La Carpio and our job was to dig out a sewage drain. I used a pick-axe for the first time and it was intense! I took a break for water and there were two young girls playing with their dolls near our break spot. I tried talking to them the best I could, but my Spanish level is dreadful. One of their mother´s told us she had pet pigs and our whole group went running through her house and into her back yard. She kept the pigs in pens and once we were all in the yard she let them out to roam free with the dogs. They were so cool and I remember thinking how bizzare of a situation I was in when I was leaving the yard full or roaming pigs to dig in a sewage pit as a rooster walked by crowing.



We went to visit our Tico pen pals after digging and that was fun. Mat and I were left sitting at our table when everyone´s pen pals came pouring in. Ours had not showed up and we felt stood up and sad, but before we started to shed tears Leo and Pepe (Our penpals) came in all sweaty and said that they were playing a game of soccer. Pepe knew some English and Mat knew some Spanish and then there was Leo and I. We were both obviously the people who slack off in foreign language class because we couldn´t understand eachother at all. I got paper and tried drawing things and that kind of worked. He showed me pictures on his phone of his motorcycle and I pointed out his eyebrow piercing which I thought was cool. We talked about that kind of and then we just went on about our pets. Apparently he has a cow, a dog, a beaver and a tucan. One day his dog bit his beaver, but the beaver is okay. Just typing that sentence made me reevaluate whether or not I really translated what he was saying correctly..

We played this game that was basically Monkey in the Middle only with soccor incorporated and it was really fun. Leo betrayed me by putting me in the middle, but it was all good. We explained that in the USA their game would be called ¨Monkey in the Middle¨ and Pepe laughed and started making monkey noises and acting like a monkey in the middle which made me laugh because I had never thought of the game title so literally.

Before we left everyone was taking pictures with their pen-pals so I got a picture with Leo and I was smiling and he made this really tough scowl. I then began (very patiently and kindly) yelling at him to smile and not be such a macho jerk. I´m not sure if he understood, but needless to say I have a picture of us both fully smiling and looking like two peas in a pod! Nate was taking these pictures and he got one of me yelling at Leo and it makes me laugh every time I see it.

That was basically my day. We stopped at the bank and exchanged our money so now I´m rollin in the colones.

Food Update: I´m doing better than I thought for being such a picky eater. All I need is their salsa/hot sauce and I´m good to go. I have become an official vegetarian as well. Some aren´t feeling as well as I. I know of one person who has been literally living off her secret stash of Teddy Grahms and there is talk of another girl who is planning to make a jail-break tonight for the grocery store down the street that sells junk food. If you were to walk into someone´s room right now and mention food you would think you were at a fat camp; it´s so funny!

Pura Vida!

14 comments:

  1. Sam,

    I'm glad you are taking your experiences to heart and doing your best to communicate with others! Don't give into the junk food urge, live the whole adventure (food and all)!! And tell your friend that she won't die from eating rice and beans, I'll buy her Teddy Grahams when you get home if she really tries the food.

    Wilds

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha I will let her know and I'm loving the food! I miss you Ms.Wilds!! (This is Sam on Alyssa's account)

    ReplyDelete
  3. BEANS AND RICE WILL KILL YOU! Well they won't, but they're disgusting. And Ms. Wilds bought me apple juice, so I'm sure she'll really buy Cherie teddy grahams. But I'm glad you're enjoying your Tico friends, I wish we got to do the pen pals and everything.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Ms. Wilds,

    I don´t know who this person is that is "living on teddy grahms" but whoever it is is probably trying the food. In fact, I think they ate fish today. So, youre going to need to give that person that box you promised asap!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cow, dog, beaver, tucan.....I think that was his dowry! Check, since you wrote on some paper you might be married in that part of the world. But now that you are "rolling in the colones"...Mrs. Leo La Carpio (Decaprio?)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't wait to see those pictures. This reminds me of Johan, my Tico buddy (not pen pal, we didn't have those)...haha. But at least you got pictures :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. So you are in Costa Rica – how great! I guess the days of going to the Pittsburgh Zoo for a school outing are gone ;) Will you get a chance to see any of the rain forests?

    What a wonderful experience to learn how people from another culture live. It sounds like you are getting to do a lot of different things and are seeing how everyday life is for them. I’m thinking that you are feeling pretty fortunate right now –

    I’ll be anxiously reading your blogs to hear of your latest adventure –

    Have a great time!
    Aunt Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  8. So you are in Costa Rica – how great! I guess the days of going to the Pittsburgh Zoo for a school outing are gone ;) Will you get a chance to see any of the rain forests?

    What a wonderful experience to learn how people from another culture live. It sounds like you are getting to do a lot of different things and are seeing how everyday life is for them. I’m thinking that you are feeling pretty fortunate right now –

    I’ll be anxiously reading your blogs to hear of your latest adventure –

    Have a great time!

    Aunt Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  9. chris- well i suck at coyping what they did above lol but good to see your surviving costa rica even if moms spamming you with the comments rofl, but yeah live it up, if you really wanna make the feild trip intresting give itthe announcer voice like "in a time when city high goes to costa rica one school will make the difference!" lol well nice talken to you i bid you adieu-chris

    ReplyDelete
  10. I enjoyed your very humorous story.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Sam! We were surprised to hear about your trip. Sounds like you're having a great time! What a wonderful opportunity for you; hope you enjoy everything and learn a lot. Can't wait to read more of your blog.

    Uncle Joe, Aunt Kathy and Scott

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Sam! We are enjoying reading about your trip. Hope you are having a great time and learning a lot. Looking forward to hearing more from you!

    Uncle Joe, Aunt Kathy and Scott

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Sam! We're enjoying reading about your experiences. Looking forward to hearing more. Enjoy yourself; what a great opportunity!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi everyone, I didn´t even know you guys knew about the blog! Thanks for commenting and I´m having so much fun, I don´t want to go home! I haven´t been up to blogging lately, but I may post tonight. I have tons of pictures that I´ll bring next time we all get together..

    We are going to Yorkien tomorrow which is the rainforest so we won´t have internet to blog for a week.

    That´s all I can type because are pen pals are coming to the hotel and we are having a party so I must go get ready to get my dance on!

    Love you all!

    PS. I´m over Leo, he´s much too quiet. I´ve moved on to Jose <3

    ReplyDelete