Self Development Through Cultural Exploration, Service Learning & Environmental Study

Join the Expedition!


Costa Rica 2010 Photos

Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Day 4 of Costa Rica

Kiera, 16

Today was one of my favorite days so far. We did a lot of running around today, but it was fun. First thing in the morning, we went to a place called Dos Piños. It is a organic dairy factory located in Alajuela, Costa Rica. It was a gigantic factory, that was really up-to-date on everything. I liked visiting this factory because it gave me the realization of how other companies outside of the U.S. run.

It was interesting how their milk "leche"can be kept out of refrigeration for up to 6 months. The two tour guides explained many things to us, which gave each and everyone of us, a different insight on how their business works. One thing that we though was really funny is that the security gaurds had guns on them, and Matyas made a funny comment saying ¨Wow, they must really serious about their milk." They were really nice to us, they gave us ice cream, and a stuffed animal, in the shape of a cow.

The second great thing we did was visit the U.S. Embassy in Costa Rica. I was kind of upset that we couldn´t take photos or video tape it, but it was a great experience that gave me a little thought of a future career. We met with two women that both have important jobs. I cannot recall their names, but I do recall most of the information they gave us.

The first lady talked to us more about economic and social affairs that the Embassy is involved with. We had some questions asking about the projects they are doing to benefit Costa Rica, and it seems like one of their main goals for the country is to ensure a safe envirnoment. I believe that is a really important goal, because Costa is a really "outside-the-box" country, but in a good way. They abolished their military, which shows they have a different mindset, and they don´t believe in any type of violence.

We asked both of the speakers about how their personal beliefs and values, influence their political decisions. They both responded by saying that it´s their job to represent the United States, and they may have their personal views, but they have to do their jobs. This statement related a lot to my thoughts of career, because I want to become a district attorney one day, and I have a lot of thoughts about the death penalty. I feel as though sometimes it will be difficult, because of the career choice, and sometimes I think about my future, and I don´t know where to draw the line. The second lady I related to a lot more, because she is actually being relocated into Afghanistan next month. It´s a dangerous thing, just like becoming a district attorney, so right now I think my biggest question of life is "Where do I draw the line?"

3 comments:

  1. WOW Kiera.....You guys are learning so much. I think it is a blessing that CCH allows students like you and you peers to travel to such countries and the learning experience is awesome. I have been following the blog since you all have left. It's just amazing!!!! :):)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Deep thoughts, Kiera! I'm so glad you are there experiencing all of this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whoa!!! I finally got to the blog...took me a long time to find it but I did. This is totally cool. I love the fact that you were able to compare your interactions with your future endeavors! Keep learning, the experience is invaluable!!
    When you interview for college admissions and write college application essays, this will provide so much to write to!

    ReplyDelete