Self Development Through Cultural Exploration, Service Learning & Environmental Study

Join the Expedition!


Costa Rica 2010 Photos

Wednesday, April 14, 2010

To the rain forest, the sea, and the city


Nathan, 18

Since leaving for Yorkin the trip has been an eye opener. Being in Yorkin has changed my perspectives on many things. For the three days of being in the rain forest not having any form of technology to use really affected me. Knowing that I can have fun without using these gadgets, means that I can go out and do more that I want to do, when I want to do it. The Bribri's helped me realize this. We spent most of our time at the main lodge, and working. The work was challenging mentally because I wasn't ready for it to rain while we were working.

At the main lodge we would play cards or hangout with our new friends that live in the Yorkin community. Everyday, after we were done working, our new friends were always waiting for us to do something (mainly wanting to play soccer). We only played soccer twice because it rained so much. When I get back to the states I think I'll be doing more physical activity because I'm still young, and I can do all of that sitting around when I'm older.

After Yorkin, we went to the beach in Puerto Viejas. The beach was relaxing, and it helped me come to my senses about what I miss, and what I'm so grateful for. While being in Costa Rica, my eyes have been opened wide, and I know I'm going to take back a lot of stuff. A couple of the main things are that I'm going to be more open-minded to everything around me, and I'm going to try new things that are thrown at me. Now that I've seen how much volunteer work really affects people, I know that I will want to help less fortunate people in Pittsburgh, and around the world. The final main thing that I will be taking back with me is that I loved having this experience, and I loved sharing it with everyone I traveled with. Knowing that there were people I didn't really talk to before we left, I talked to them here tells me I have built many friendships. The friends I had before this trip started have only become stronger, and I know that these friendships will last a lifetime. I think this is one of the most valuable things I will be taking back with me.

I cannot wait to arrive in Pittsburgh late tomorrow night. Even though I love it here, I miss a lot of things about home. What I cannot wait to do when I get home is see Amanda, and my family. They have supported me through the whole trip, and I know that they are excited to see me come back and hear all of the stories that I have to tell about this amazing trip. My dogs also helped me through this trip because they always brightened my day. I could see there faces in all of the dogs that we encountered while working in La Carpio, and Yorkin, and that always put a smile on my face.

As time wears down, I am going to enjoy my last few hours here in Costa Rica, and enjoy it with all the memories that I have made while being here. We have a few more activities planned while in San Jose, and I'll finally be able to get souvenirs for a few people. I love you all, and I cannot wait to see you tomorrow night.

No comments:

Post a Comment