Self Development Through Cultural Exploration, Service Learning & Environmental Study

Join the Expedition!


Costa Rica 2010 Photos

Wednesday, April 14, 2010

An Unforgettable Journey

Patrick, 17

Transitioning from San Jose city life into an adventure in the rain forest in Yorkin has been one of the most difficult and challenging tasks that the group has experienced. This was when the teachers said that we would start getting frustrated with people and people would start showing their true colors; and they were right.

I personally have never been in the rainforest, so everything that I encountered was a first for me. The local people called the Bri Bri were so nice and welcoming to us. They cooked us 3 meals a day and provided us with snacks. I really liked and appreciated what they did for us. They were so patient, family-orientated, and respectful of each other and that's something that I really admire about them. From an economic point of view, we Americans have more than them but I think that they are truly happier than we are because they appreciate everything that they have and use all of their resources to their full potential.

As I previously mentioned, their were a lot of things in the rain forest that agitated people. The main thing was the bugs everywhere. It seems like it didn't matter how much bug spray or sun block we put on, there were still bugs everywhere. Also, people were frustrated at a lack of people's participation when it was time to dig down and work hard. From carrying huge and heavy bags of sand to carrying wooden "cookies," the work that we did in the rain forest was hard, tiring and made people want to give up, but I honestly believe that, as a whole, we did a fantastic job in the short amount of time given.

I think looking back at the whole rainforest experience, I am definitely going to appreciate the smaller things in life and not take anything for granted. I think the Bri Bri people showed me that and that's what I'm going to take out of it the most.

Things that I really enjoyed in the rainforest were all time we got to spend with each other and the endless laughs that we experienced. Also, I learned how to play a neat card game called President that I think was really cool. All the time I spent with my other group members let me get to know them as people, which I thought was really important. Also, although I dont speak Spanish particularly well, I think that playing soccer with the kids was really cool. Also (I know I use this word a lot) helping out in the kitchen was something really interesting because I enjoy cooking. Even though I got a lot of mosquito bites, I honestly think that sleeping under the mosquito net was really cool too (and I dont know why!!!!)

My first time at the beach wasn't what I expected, mainly due to the weather, the beach wasn't what I thought. I envisioned palm trees, sunny skies and clear water. The forecast was kind of rainy when we went, but I still had fun. The sand was something that I am going to have to get used to because it was kind of painful. The second day at the beach had more of an my idea of the beach because it was sunny out.

Throughout the trip, I experienced many ups and downs, but I think that I gained a deeper understanding of who exactly I am as a person. Everyone who goes on this journey experiences it from their own perspective. I definitely want to study Spanish beyond high school now because of this experience. I hope to one day come back to this place with new ideas, thoughts and memories.

No comments:

Post a Comment