Self Development Through Cultural Exploration, Service Learning & Environmental Study

Join the Expedition!


Costa Rica 2010 Photos

Thursday, April 15, 2010

Wet Sand, Dry Sand, The Beach & Bracelets

Courtney, 17

The night before we left for Yorkin was one of the worst, but the next day actually ended up being one of the best days of my life. I was sad about having to leave the new friends I had just made and the comfort of the city to go to a place where I had no idea what was to be expected. But once I arrived in the community of the Bribri, I knew I was in the exact place that would develop me as a person and basically form the foundation of who I am to become and encourage the changes and transitions I will face.

The bus ride was a long one, and the canoe ride was as well, but it was well worth every hour spent sitting in one place. Of course the living conditions changed dramatically--we slept with nets covering us and showered with cold water. But in the end each day spent in Yorkin was a privilege. We either started the day with clearing an area for a walking path, hiking wet sand up trails, laying "cookies" (sections of large trunks of fallen trees cut by chain saw converted to form steps in a path) or planting seeds for the tree nursery. Each day was a great realization for me. I've never felt more comfortable in a place that was the complete opposite of where I have been raised.

In the end I found that I felt guilty for not being grateful for all that I have back in the states. I wished that I cherished life in the states as the Bribri do in Yorkin. It was a completely odd feeling yet, I felt rewarded because no one else in the group had that feeling and I knew that my definition of life is defined by the minor things like just living and breathing happily with the comfort of others and family members. I admire all the Bribri because of their courage to take on life for what it is, and not opt for the easy was out as many people do in the states.

Leaving Yorkin has to be the worst part of this trip for me, mainly because I felt so at home. I felt as if I belonged there and would have done anything to stay, but since the time was up, and I had to move on I reluctantly packed up, said my goodbyes and headed to this beautiful spot near the beach. my experience at the beach only heightened my feelings of disapproval toward the easy way out of life. I honestly would have preffered being in Yorkin still assiting them with what needed to be done and bonding with the people.

Ater buying a few bracelets, and some "stromberrry" juice...we packed up for the last time and are now in San Jose awaiting out final departure. I plan on crying...but I also plan on coming back as soon as possible.

First step, learn Spanish...Second step...figure out what I want to do in life and make sure it can be done in Costa Rica.

2 comments:

  1. Courtney- I'm so glad that you are walking away with a new look on your life back here in the states. It sometimes takes displacement for people to realize how fortunate they are. Hold on to your goals and like you're doing, think of the 'mini-steps' you need to take to accomplish them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interesting, I would like to move to Costa Rica, but first I need to find a lot and learn a little Spanish.Decide where to live is very difficult, personally I love the people from Costa Rica are very nice and the nature is amazing.In Costa Rica, one can enjoy lovely tropical beaches, the grandest adventures, the wonders of nature, brilliant and exciting culture and all the necessary components of an ideal vacation. lots in costa rica

    ReplyDelete