Self Development Through Cultural Exploration, Service Learning & Environmental Study

Join the Expedition!


Costa Rica 2010 Photos

Thursday, April 15, 2010

A handful of new experiences

Melina, 17

Over the past few days, I've learned a lot about appreciating the little things in life. Traveling to Yorkin was a really mind blowing adventure that made me realize just how good I have it. I'm not the type that's used to sleeping in a bed covered with a bug net every night, or that likes big beetles flying at my face during a group meeting, showering while being able to look right out into the rain forest, etc. Going to Yorkin taught me a lot about the way a whole other culture works around day to day issues and still remains happy and welcoming at the end of the day. But thankfully, I was able to manage my way through those few days, through the heat, hard work, food, and other unfamiliar challenges.

After overcoming the fear that the canoe was going to tip quite a few times, we made it back on the road again. We headed for Puerto Viejo, and I must say that being there was probably one of my favorite parts about the whole trip. It was much more lively, had pretty beaches with such warm/clear water, amazing hotel rooms, and a fun night life experience. Working hard in La Carpio and Yorkin really paid off. Being able to have a day or two of fun was much needed after all this time and I really enjoyed it.

Overall this trip has taught me a lot about myself, others, different cultures and ways of living and so much more. I don't regret coming at all and hope to experience more life changing expeditions at some point throughout life. Although I can't wait to reach Pittsburgh again and see my family, it's going to be sad having to leave Costa Rica and all the memories that will remain.

No comments:

Post a Comment