Self Development Through Cultural Exploration, Service Learning & Environmental Study

Join the Expedition!


Costa Rica 2010 Photos

Thursday, April 15, 2010

Out of the Forest, to the beach, and home!

Matyas, 16

We're back to civilization after being in the rain forest for 3 days of work. We helped the Bribri people of Yorkin (pronounced Your-keen) build a trail, cut pieces of wood for lodge building, and start making a pathway to their new conference-center-in-progress. It was a lot of work but we got our rewards by swimming in a nearby stream at the end of the days, which was really fun. A couple of the other guys and myself (along with Mr. Moreland) were skipping stones down stream and eventually we got the whole group doing it with us. Then one of the little boys who lived there set up some rocks far away that we were all going to try and hit down. My favorite part was that when our guide, Matt, said it was time to go, he kind of forgot what he said and started to try and hit the rocks as well.

Being that I want to base my future career field in some type of Biology, visiting Costa Rica allowed me to see lots of animals. It gave me opportunities to catch small toads, lizards, and insects, as well as let me observe the beauty that is the Blue Morpho Butterfly.

After the rain forest we didn't come straight back home, we stopped by the Caribbean Sea first! I enjoyed that part the most. The country is just as culturally diverse as it is biologically diverse. The Caribbean coast of Costa Rica has a pinch of "Rasta" culture, which is overall laid-back, but at the same time bouncing with Reggae music. The beach was stunningly beautiful, and I got to observe some marine life there as well. There were a lot of old coral reefs that were on the beach and some that were halfway in the water. On those ones Arturo, Shalyce, Mr. Moreland and I found lots of Sea Urchins. For the sake of observation, I got a stick and flicked one out to the coast, being sure to avoid its spines.

Overall, from the Rainforest to the Caribbean, the whole trip was worth it. I can't describe how beautiful this country is. Nor could I describe the whole experience of this trip on this blog. Its going to have to come out in person, but I still really encourage anyone to come visit Costa Rica and experience the true meaning of "Pura Vida."

2 comments:

  1. Dear Students,
    Congratulations on your fabulous journey. Everything I have seen on the blog makes me so proud of the way you have engaged in a new and at times challenging situation. As someone who takes these kinds of journeys with students I know how much you all did to make the trip a success. Now that you are in the return phase, take the time to savor your accomplishments and talk to each other and your community. You are not the same but people may see you the same. You hold good medicine for your community and for your life. Thanks for sharing your journey with us. Your writing was superb and there is absolutely nothing I could think of to improve on. You guys hit it out of the park.
    with much affection to you all,
    Ward Mailliard
    Values in World Thought Program
    Mount Madonna School

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Ward. Your inspiration and the opportunities you provided for me as a student in your class made this possible. We are very grateful...

    ReplyDelete