Self Development Through Cultural Exploration, Service Learning & Environmental Study

Join the Expedition!


Costa Rica 2010 Photos

Thursday, April 15, 2010

Yorkin: Joys and Struggles

Kiera, 16

The first day when I arrived in Yorkin I really wasn't surprised with what I saw. Our little cabins weren't that bad, even though there was no closing side to the roof, they gave us nets, so that we could protect ourselves from insects. I mentioned in my other blog that I love nature, and trust me, Yorkin is beautiful. I just struggle with bugs, I feel as though they are pointless and annoying. Throughout my time there, I was paranoid about being bit or hurt by bugs--especially when they told us about the scorpions. After I saw a scorpion in the roof of our dining lodge, I was even more paranoid.

I also struggled with the food; not only in Yorkin, but in Costa Rica in general. I struggled in Yorkin more because it was not like they had options, unlike the other restaurants and places we went where I would try to get something that I'm more comfortable eating. In Yorkin, we had to eat what we were given, or we just wouldn't eat. So I had a really difficult time trying the foods because I had never had them before. The only two things I loved were the bananas and the pineapples. They were extra juicy.

But enough about my struggles, I enjoyed so many things in Yorkin. I loved swimming in the river against the currents because I had never been in a river before, especially something like that. I also really loved the people there. They were such great people to be around. Even when some of us were mad, they just brightened up our days.
This guy, I forgot his name, but he was so sweet. He sang for us, whenever we went back to sit with him. They all were adorable, with their cute little smiles.
Also, Sam and I made a new friend, her name is Fevi (Fee-Vee). She was so adorable. She and Sam were having a photoshoot, and I joined them. She loved making cool faces for the photos, she was just so adorable. That's my new Bribri friend.

One other thing I loved about being in Yorkin was that the Bribri were happy to share their culture. We interviewed one person and asked her questions about the culture. Another lady taught us some of the Bribri language ("mia mia" means "thank you"). And we also were told some stories that have been passed down through their culture. Overall, I loved Yorkin, because it really showed me how different a culture can be.

No comments:

Post a Comment