Self Development Through Cultural Exploration, Service Learning & Environmental Study

Join the Expedition!


Costa Rica 2010 Photos

Thursday, April 8, 2010

Time to Catch Up on the Fun!

Alyssa, 17


I haven't blogged since Day 2, and today is Day 5! We've been so busy, hustling from place to place, and trying to get caught up on sleep. Here's a recap of Days 3, 4, and 5.


Day 3 - We started off the day by going to the Legislative Assembly for an interview, and also got a tour of the building. After lunch, we went back to La Carpio for the last time. It was one of the best experiences I've had. We (both our group and people from La Carpio) worked together to create a road. The hardest part was mixing cement by hand! Well, with shovels. But it's a lot harder than using a cemement mixer! Once our work was done, we had a small gathering to present our group's donation to the La Carpio community. Nate, Patrick, Shalyce, and I presented a community leader with the donation and each reflected on our experiences working in La Carpio. Then, we had cake and Coke! I don't drink pop, but the cake was really good. It had caramel and fruit in it. A few of us also bought purses made by a few of the women in La Carpio.


After we (FINALLY!) got back to the hotel after a long ride in traffic, we had dinner, which really surprised me. First off, there were no rice and beans! Instead, there was mashed potatoes. And the meat was fish! Which usually, I HATE fish, but I tried it, and it was really good. I even had seconds! I was happy I ended up trying it, despite the fact I thought it would be really gross. Traveling to another country has really surprised me in the sense that I am being a lot more open minded about things like food, which I would have never tried before.


Day 4 - Today started with probably the best breakfast we're going to have. We had cantaloupe, pinapple, and a ham and cheese croissant. I love cantaloupe and pineapple, so I was psyched. The first thing on our itinerary was a trip to Dos Pinos, a local dairy cooperative. We got to see how things like milk and ice cream are made, and get a lot of information about CAFTA and how the tariffs on trade between the US and Costa Rica and going to change over the next 10 years. The end of the tour was spectacular, complete with ice cream and stuffed animal cows!


We had our second interview after lunch, at the U.S. Embassy. I was really looking forward to going there because I heard so much about it and I wanted to see what it was that they did for Americans. We learned a lot about what people do there, how they help Americans, and the process of becoming an officer in international embassies. One of the officers also gave us a few travel tips! This was really helpful to me because I plan to travel more in the future.


Last night, we went to a Jazz Cafe. I wasn't sure what to expect, but it wasn't too different than just a restaurant with a live band. I had never really listened to Latin Jazz before, but it was better than I expected it to be. I really liked how the piano was played, it sounded so cool and different. The only downside was that we didn't get back to the hotel until 11:30! Which would have been fine if we didn't have to get up so early for Poas today!

Day 5 - Got to wake up around 6 to leave by 7:30! First we went to the high school to pick up the students. We had about half of us and half of them in each of the two buses. I really liked that we got to talk to them on the (long) ride to the Poas volcano. I talked to Paula the entire ride there. She is very good at English and we found so much to talk about. It wasn't constricted to just, how old are you, and what type of music do you like. It was about everything from our school classes, who are friends are, where we like to go to hang out, and just everything we could think to talk about. The volcano was really clear of fog, so we got lots of great pictures. On the way back, I talked to Larry and Pepe a lot, they were so funny. It is really interesting trying to break a language barrier, even if we know a bit of Spanish and they know a bit of English.

The high school students came to our hotel for a small get together. It was so fun. We listened to music, attempted to dance, and ended up playing hand games. Who knew that other countries played Slide and their own version of Stella Ella Olla! I miss them already and they only left a few minutes ago. I can't wait to get back home and e-mail my new Tico friends.

We are leaving for Yorkin in the morning and we won't be able to blog again for about a week! I'm worried about the food we will have to eat, but I'm doing much better with eating rice and beans and today I even had squash soup. Weird, right?

I miss everyone back home and I can't wait to see you guys when I get home.

4 comments:

  1. Squash soup and fish in one trip! I am amazed. I am so glad you are going with the flow and experiencing all that you can. I agree that this will open up a whole new world for you and I believe you will want to do more of it. Courtney said it best that so many people travel just locally and few travel to other countries. You have had the luxury to do both. You are so fortunate. Be safe, use lots of sunscreen still, hope all goes well in the rainforest.

    Love ya!
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alyssa,
    This is my second post, hopefully it works.

    I can't imagine you eating squash soup, I am so proud that you are experiencing everything. I give you credit for trying even the oddest things.

    It sounds like you are having the most amazing time there. I will be honest, I miss you a lot, but I would not have changed you having this experience for anything. I hope it opens up more doors for you to be able to do more traveling, more service projects, and whatever else you think you may be interested in.

    Good luck in the rainforest. I hope things are going well. Only a few more days and you will be home with amazing and detailed stories I hope.

    Love ya,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey, hey, hey. It sounds awesome there, except the food. Im sorry but i don't think i would have tried the fish. no. So im sry if i havent come on here in like a yr, i havent been on the computer in like 3 days! i don't kno how your surviving w/o twitter! just kiddin. take pics for me? alex says hey btw, as he plays his video games... so you probably won't see this for a bit, but i hope its awesome there. See you soon:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like you guys are having a lot of fun! How much have you had to use your lovely Spanish skills? lol.
    See ya' when you get back!

    ReplyDelete