Self Development Through Cultural Exploration, Service Learning & Environmental Study

Join the Expedition!


Costa Rica 2010 Photos

Monday, April 5, 2010

Colones, Tico's, y American Food!!!

Courtney, 17

Today was so fun!!! We started the day off early and went to La Carpio to help out the community with getting the titles they need. I felt really fortunate that I was capable of being apart of something that I wouldn't have in another country. It also felt amazing to complete volunteer work without recieving anything in return!

After a well needed shower, the group and I headed out to lunch at "La Bien Comer" where Sam and I enjoyed the best beans and rice yet. It is true to those of you who are wondering, in Costa Rica...you eat beans and rice with everything!!! No complaints here though, because I love beans and rice. Shortly after we headed to meet the class we contacted through Skype sometime back, and I finally met Paula. She was so nice and friendly like I expected. We played volleyball and talked about the similarities we share...with the help of Mrs. Thomas of course.

We also went to the bank today and exchanged money, the lines were extremely long! However, some of my group members and I made plans to get American food as soon as we hit the airport! Once I recieved my colones, things felt very official. I could now buy whatever I wanted. Tomorrow we have our first interview, and tonight we're working on preparing. I'm looking forward to question the officals about the conditions in La Carpio, as well as hearing their responses.

3 comments:

  1. You are doing a wonderful thing helping the people in la Carpio! It is considered one of the most dangerous places in the country and personally I've never been there for the same reason but I'm sure that has it happens with all the other "dangerous" places most of the people are honest, hard working families.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You guys are adorable, bailey and I are loving that picture! We miss you guys dearly and we hope you're having fun!

    Love Began!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a very lovely picture of you guys! Bailey and I are missing you dearly, but we hope you guys are having a great time!

    Love, Bailey and Megan

    ReplyDelete