Self Development Through Cultural Exploration, Service Learning & Environmental Study

Join the Expedition!


Costa Rica 2010 Photos

Monday, April 5, 2010

A day with the locals!!!

LaShai, 17


Well today was a pretty exciting day. In the beginning of the day we went to La Carpio, which is a poor squatter community. We had to dig out and shovel dirt so they could lay cement down. My favorite part was talking to the children in the neighborhood. There were these 3 little girls who had dolls, and all the doll's names were Stephanie. One of the little girls also showed us the pigs she had in her back yard. It was fun until the biggest pig stepped on my foot, but overall I had a lot of fun in La Carpio.
After La Carpio, we went to meet some high school students that were our pen pals. At first it was very weird because no one really wanted to talk to anybody, but after ten minutes we were talking to everyone, even the students who weren't our pen pals. I was really surprised when my pen pal knew English and just wanted to talk in English, and I wanted to talk in Spanish. After talking for a while we played games like soccer, and other games involving balls. Everyone seemed to be having fun. We get to see them again on Thursday when we go to the volcano. I can't wait to get the chance to talk to both the locals and the high school students again.

No comments:

Post a Comment