Self Development Through Cultural Exploration, Service Learning & Environmental Study

Join the Expedition!


Costa Rica 2010 Photos

Monday, April 5, 2010

What an interesting day!

Alyssa, 17

Well, Day 2 is pretty much over now, but I'm definitely not counting the days until we leave. I am so excited to be here, and these 12 days are going to fly by too fast. We started working in La Carpio today, which wasn't too bad. We started to dig out pipes that need to be replaced. Cherie and I conquered this huge rock that was stuck in the ground near one of the pipes. When I finally pulled out the rock after digging and using the pick axe to get it out, we felt so accomplished. In Mr. Oliver's words, we beat the rock. When we returned to our hotel, we had only 30 minutes to shower, get changed, and leave for lunch. While getting ready, Danielle and I suddenly heard a huge CRASH in the bathroom, followed by Shalyce screaming. At first, I thought it was just a bug that they were trying to squish. But then, I heard her, and Siena say that something fell, and I thought they just meant the shower head or the sink faucet. Once they ran out of the room, Danielle and I realized the entire sink literally fell off of the wall, and there was water squirting everywhere. Danielle went to tell the hotel, and I went to tell Ms. Arenth. When I got back, I realized the wall to the bathroom was just soaked and it looked like a waterfall.


We're waiting to see if we will have our hotel room switched, due to our lack of a sink, a slightly essential bathroom amenity! I'm really tired and can't wait to get to sleep. We have our first interview tomorrow, which means we have to go prepare soon, when all I want to do is go to bed!

Can't wait to see what unfolds on our journey next. Hasta luego!

4 comments:

  1. Hi Alyssa,

    sounds like you are enjoying yourself. you might not be counting the days but I am. we miss you here. nothing to exciting here. i hope your interview goes well. I'm sure they will be impressed with you. I am :) hope your day goes well for you. take care and be safe. love you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alyssa!

    Amazing you were in a room where the sink fell off the wall!

    It is so interesting reading about what all of you are doing. A little work, a little play, a little learning and a lot of fun is what it sounds like.

    Be safe, laugh a lot, and have a great time!
    Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alyssa,

    Amazing you were the room where the sink fell off the wall!

    I love following your experiences on the blog, they are all so interesting to read. Sounds like you are doing a little work, a little learning and having a lot of fun.

    Be safe, have fun and take care. Have some rice and beans on me too!

    Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like day 2 kicked your butt. no blog. I'm glad to see you some pictures. looks like you are having fun. well nothing exciting happening in sunny Pittsburgh. Jim says Hello and so does all your kitty cousins :). We miss you. be safe. Love ya Aunt Mary

    ReplyDelete