Self Development Through Cultural Exploration, Service Learning & Environmental Study

Join the Expedition!


Costa Rica 2010 Photos

Monday, April 5, 2010

Dirt, Sinks, Boys, and Banks

Shalyce, 17

Hola!

So today is day 2 our of our 12 days here in Costa Rica, and man has it been a long day. So let's start from the beginning with breakfast. Last night a few of us said we were a little upset that we didn't have beans and rice; well today for breakfast, lunch, and dinner we ate our words. For breakfast we had the most delicious rice and beans, then we got coffee, which it was sad to say was a little to weak, but it was also very good. After coffee, and layers upon layers of sunblock we got in the vans and headed to La Carpio. Driving through the city I saw so many things that reminded me of Pittsburgh it was really amazing. As we got closer, we started to see La Carpio; in movies you see shanty towns, but when you see it in person, and then go work in one, you really get a feel for what it's like. Its almost like a slap in the face, but in a good way. So after a while of digging and moving wheelbarrows, we were invited into one of the houses. It was amazing to see that these people have made so much stuff from nothing. The back of the house was even more of a treat. They had at least 3 pigs! They also had a few piglets in the very back. It was a lot of work in La Carpio but I'm really happy that we did it and I learned a lot.

Sinks: well after we got back from La Carpio we only had a half hour to get ready to go out to lunch, so Siena and I ran up to our room to get ready, well in the midst or that the sink broke off the wall, fell, hit the floor, giving Siena a small cut. I got hosed down like in a comedy movie, it was so scary, and I screamed and every one thought I saw a spider, and Larry started laughing. Goodness, it was embarrassing and scary and funny.

Boys: after all this crazy and amazing stuff happened we were lucky enough to go meet the amazing high school students here. It was really hard at first, but soon enough everything got better. We all went out to play soccer or volleyball, and talk. I thought it would be hard and awkward, but it turned out to be more fun than ever. Siena had a fun time also because she finally meet her pen pal who she thought was the bees knees, and they hit it off. It was so funny, and cute.

Banks: After meeting the high school kids we went to the bank to change money. In a line that seemed like it lasted for a mile, I had to go to the bathroom so badly, but I couldn't leave. So Ashlee, Sam, Shai, Cherie, and I were all talking, and Sam says "I'm hungry too, but I'm to scared to do anything." Ashlee's smile wipes off her face and she goes "I'm not". It was scary and funny, and the rest of the line went that way Ashlee got a little aggressive with her words, but nothing bad, just really funny, and I swore I was going to pee myself, but luckily I made to the end of the line and changed my money just in time. So today was a great day. I learned so much, I laughed a lot and met interesting people.

4 comments:

  1. Have fun, be good, take lots of pictures!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So you guys broke the sink?? When will I be getting the bill? Sounds like you are having a great time. We will not be getting any pigs for pets so don't get any ideas! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. where is the photobucket account??

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you are doing well down there. We love you!

    ReplyDelete